MEDA301 · Uncategorized

learning to rotoscope day 7; reflection

After another week of working on my rotoscopes, I’ve reached a semi-coherent system for my process and execution. I’ve identified many components that were simply not working for me, and in fact deterring to my assignment.

rotoscoping

The process

  • Firstly, I found a piece of footage that I would use for my rotoscope. As my first rotoscope, the feet walking, I used found footage to make it as simple as possible.
  • The footage was opened in Premiere, edited the colours/contrast/sharpen as much as possible to make the shapes and depth as vibrant as possible for the tracing process.
  • Footage was exported in the JPEG format, thus exporting each individual frame.
  • In Word, I opened each photo and resized to roughly 5cm to fit as many frames on each page to reduce the printing cost and efficiency.
  • Frames were printed, then on a light box each were traced over.
  • I photographed each page, then sent to my computer where I then cropped each frame out and imported back to Premiere.
  • Here, I used more video effects to clear up the image, eliminate the discrepancies of framing and straighten the frames.

I found with my current process, it was simply taking too much time to complete. I couldn’t develop a new rotoscope each week with the time and effort each required.

I reached the conclusion after some consultation, that I needed to alter my process to eliminate not only the paper cost, but its practicality. Instead of attempting to make a rotoscope every day, I shall have a set number of rotoscopes that I will develop on, practice new tracing and shading techniques and explore other ways than simply tracing each frame. I have also experimented with extending the rotoscopes I have and found some pleasing results. Here, in Rotoscope 2 I inverted the colours, slowed the framerate and cleared up more of the feedback that had resulted from the many processes of photographing and decreasing the photo’s quality. I also added a loop, that I feel really added to the quality of the rotoscope, adding more time helped to see the details rather than a ruushed 2 seconds of footage.

Dance V3 loop from Isabel Napier on Vimeo.

In the following week, I plan on going back to my original rotoscopes and working with two methods, one which will be in post production. I intend on going back and increasing the quality of each like the dance, using loops and color editing. I have one rotoscope in the middle of the exporting process, and I intend on shooting at least one or two more rotoscopes and working to develop on them after mastering my techniques on my current projects.

 

 

 

Advertisements